So, you’re all wondering why I’ve not reported on any backpacking? Ok, so that’s probably only Mr A Steptoe of Oil Drum Lane, Shepherd’s Bush, London – youngsters can look it up via a search engine.
I was all ready to go, when Britain’s ‘Scorchio’ summer came to an abrupt end. First the remains of the USA Atlantic Tropical Storm Helene, quickly followed by the first two storms of the British autumn/winter 2018 season, Ali and Bronagh. Lots of wind and heavy rain.
Next came my annual flu jab. Ordinarily not a problem, but this year the concoction laid me low some days later and then followed a week of recovery. P3* work kept me here a few days extra, replacing an old kissing gate with a new galvanised working version. This was in the All Stretton area, on a popular walking route, so I felt duty-bound to help out.
Storm Callum then blew in from the west and battered Wales in particular. Witness headlines proclaiming the worst flooding in 30 years. I chose to remain protected by walls and windows, rather than a two-skin tent. I know, it’s all very boring. The Welsh mountains will probably need some time to drain a little. Welsh mountains and reservoirs go hand in hand!
So, what’s next on the list? My mobile phone. It decides to no longer be a phone as such, but just a texting machine, without any of the other useful mobile features. Cue chorus of, ‘You can’t go off without a fully working mobile’. Do you ever get the feeling you’ve been cursed and someone somewhere is chanting over a small wax image of yourself? Eye of newt and . . . , also comes to mind!
Nothing else for it, but spend time reading up on the current mobile phone market. Unbridled joy, it wasn’t. I’m one of those, ‘Pay as you go’ folk, so need to buy a sim-free phone. Another week disappears into the history books, and still no backpacking. But I’m now the owner of a new Moto G5 Plus and considerably poorer. Though still a relatively small screen (5.2inches), it’s an increase in weight and bulk over my previous phone. Is there no end to it – anyone fancy being my porter?
Anyhow, I rather nervously suggest that I may be wandering off into the Welsh mountains one day soon. I don’t require blue sky and sunshine, just a spell of less stormy weather, and no plague, or pestilence. Not that I’m becoming paranoid you understand.
My intended destination is the Carneddau group of mountains in the northern part of the Snowdonia (Eryri) National Park**. Quoted in the book, ‘Mountain Tables’, by Michael Dewey; ‘The Carneddau... has the largest area above 3000ft [approx. 914m] south of the Scottish border.’ Home to the third and fourth highest mountains in Wales. No railway, no cafes. Sounds good to me!
I’ve not backpacked, or indeed walked, in this part of Snowdonia before, so I look forward to filling you in on my experiences at a later date. That’s my starting point. Depending on the weather and how my body feels, I may venture further afield?
The rucksack has been packed and unpacked a number of times. The most recent changes being my winter sleeping bag replacing my summer one, and likewise with the tent. The stronger, heavier Hilleberg Akto tent has replaced the lighter Terra Nova Competition One tent. Thoughts of hats and gloves have also featured and consequently my rucksack is now heavier than it was originally. Without food and water, my rucksack and contents weigh about 25lb (approx. 11.4kg). How ladies manage to fit everything useful into a small handbag is a mystery to me?
In the meantime, I’ll leave you with two photographs showing the change in the local landscape, as a result of a recent storm.
![]() |
| The Oak (Quercus sp.) minding its own business |
![]() |
| After a recent storm |
Bits and pieces:
* P3 = Parish Paths Partnership (Church Stretton)
We’re a group of volunteers who try to look after the local rights of way network. Work is varied, from scrub clearance, to the maintenance/replacement of furniture (Stiles, gates, footbridges etc.), and other jobs as required. We work in co-operation with Shropshire Council’s Outdoor Partnerships Team (thanks, David), and local land owners.
A lot of councils run similar schemes. See your own council website for details, or try contacting them by phone. Good luck with that!
**Snowdonia (Eryri) National Park = designated a National Park in 1951. Currently 823square miles (1324km2), twice the size of Anglesey.
For more information see this Discover Snowdonia PDF document from the official Snowdonia website.
PS. ‘Scorchio’ was the favourite word of the Chanel 9 weather presenter on the BBC comedy programme, The Fast Show.


No comments:
Post a Comment