A good friend, too rarely seen, asked me recently in a Shropshire/Scottish twang, ‘What’s happened to the blog post for May?’ Words written, photos taken, broadband lacking. A familiar tale of technological woe from the keyboard of Backpacker John in the green Shropshire countryside. What’s that you say? Fed up… I’ll move on; I’m nice like that.
The lack of something to fall asleep whilst reading, doesn’t mean I’ve been lazing around twiddling my thumbs. My legs can report, happily or not, an intensification of walking (The May average currently hovering around 7-miles a day). All in anticipation of some future backpacking. A bit of running crops up occasionally, especially in light of no cycling since my accident in June 2016. Watching local fell races provides suitable inspiration.
Guiding friends around the local area obviously helps with regard to the daily mileage. Most recently the emphasis as been on the Woodland Trust owned Helmeth Hill, lying within walking distance to the east of Church Stretton. A fantastic treat for lovers of native bluebells. (Other wildflowers are available.)
![]() |
| Native bluebells carpet Helmeth Wood |
![]() |
| Building steps on the muddy sides of Ragleth Hill |
![]() |
| Dead hedge in the paddock |
My lone brain cell continues to work on family histories for clients. It’s also been occupied trying to sort out various computer issues, not helped by a new printer with a mind of its own. Let’s just say that we’ve not bonded yet!
If I can, I may expand in future posts on a few of the subjects mentioned above.



No comments:
Post a Comment