Food, clothing, footwear, and rucksack – sorted. The yard is deep in fluffy stuff. Fifteen seconds of walking and the sight of the stile and footbridge over the stream, brings home just how much we’ve had. The bridge in particular is a beautiful white piece of art in the landscape. It’s almost a shame to use it.
In the field beyond, knee-deep snow and sometimes a little higher, reveals just how hard a day this might be; what’s not to like! Negotiating the stile at the top of the field, I’m now on the B-road. Ordinarily, a place to be alert and anxious. Few vehicles have ventured along it, so it’s a more relaxed walker who strolls south into All Stretton. Any vehicle that comes along is for once obeying the speed limit. In fact, they’re going a lot slower, which makes a lovely change. If only they could apply the same concentration every day!
All Stretton is a white and tranquil place, except for the road junction at the bottom of the Batch. My help is offered to a motorist stuck on the junction. He declines, but then here’s a motorist who comes prepared. A snow shovel is removed from the boot and he sets to work.
![]() |
| Showing the snowy way to All Stretton Village Hall |
![]() |
| Public seating with thick cushions in the Batch Valley |
![]() |
| A choice of paths, a lovely scene |
Frequently to thigh level, the snow is fine and powdery, has no structure and consequently offers no help in climbing the hillside. Progress isn’t always upwards, or forwards. Laughs intermingle with the odd little curse. It’s not a strange creature that’s following my haphazard boot prints, it’s places where gloved hands are trying to save me from falling over. I’m breaking virgin snow, having fun, and I’ve no wish to be anywhere else. I’m mad, it’s official.
After what seems an age, the steep ground and snow drifts are left behind, and although still climbing, it’s a more gentle incline. The legs and lungs are grateful. I’m following a fence line alongside the Cwm Dale valley. Rabbit tracks (Think of an upside-down Y), come and go between the once green pasture below and the slopes of the Long Mynd. Distant laughter suggests I’m not the only mad person out and about!
![]() |
| Rabbit tracks in the snow on the slopes of the Cwm Dale Valley |
My path now contours across the open hillside. For a few minutes my concentration is focused on a narrow snow-filled path and the personal desire not to fall and provide the sledging audience with some extra entertainment. Mission, ‘not to fall’ safely accomplished, I pass behind the small group of sledgers and start to climb again.
A brief stop to watch the fun. It gladdens the heart to see all having fun in the great outdoors. Most downhillers take the ditch and mound slowly. An odd dare-devil takes the obstacles at speed with the almost obvious result of plastic sledge and driver parting company, to much laughter from everyone else.
I’d love to have a go, though my technique would be, ‘old-school’ – head first, feet used to steer. The modern way is sat up using hands to slow and steer. Wimps! And of course, our sledges would be self-built, sometimes with a piece of carpet tacked to the top for a bit of comfort; wet comfort! Happy memories.
Chilling fingers signal that it’s time for me to move on. Someone has beaten me to this path of snow, though the footprints are partially filled with snow. Going around a right-hand corner, a lady is coming the other way. I step aside, once more up to my thighs in snow. We exchange a few words and then go our separate ways. It takes me a little longer to go my way, having to extract myself from the deep snow on the steep hillside. Us gentleman don’t always have it easy!
I’m now skirting the golf course, with different sports making use of the contoured landscape. I pass a skier and a snow boarder. People are taking what opportunities they can. The powder snow is just what they want, though they’d like more I’m sure. I can imagine lots of frustrated golfers practising their putting on the living room floor, trying to avoid the Christmas wrapping.
![]() |
| A Longmynd pony looks for food |
Today the valley is a uniform white with a brownish ribbon wiggling it’s way down the valley, dotted with white spots, where snow lies on large stones, beyond the reach of the stream’s chilly water. The stream also provides a lovely audio, tinkle, tinkle; not quite sleigh bells, but it adds to the mood of the day. I make my way down the road towards the town.
A quick detour takes me to the War Memorial standing over-looking the town on a hill-top at the bottom of the Burway. So different from my view at the crowded Remembrance Service just last month.
With light snow falling, I venture into town. It’s now afternoon, some pavements have had a quick clear, the main roads passable, but slushy. Many parked cars remain where they were from the night before. The traffic warden not seen as an issue today! A few walkers, some people pulling sledges, a few people are pulling reluctant dogs, though that’s not always the case. Some shopping calls, albeit briefly.
![]() |
| A snow covered garden fence in Church Stretton |
![]() |
| Caer Caradoc from Madeira Walk |
![]() |
| Sheep with an icy beard on Novers Hill |
![]() |
| A drunken finger post points the way |
A lovely day, only possibly missing some company to share it with. And definitely too deep for the dogs! A Saint Bernard dog with a small casket of dry cider, or an Irish cream blended drink. Now that I would like to see.
Coming next: Snowfall Tuesday









No comments:
Post a Comment