Saturday, 18 March 2017

Historical backpacking

Looking back can sometimes invoke a laugh, sometimes a frown.

Occasionally, I manage to fit in a backpacking trip. Occasionally, I manage to fit in the time to write it up and post it on this blog. My mistake the other day was to look back at the ‘Backpacking’ label that brings up all those posts so tagged.

Shock, horror! Back in July 2013 I enjoyed a backpack in sunny Wales. Yes, really; sunny Wales. I now realise that this story was started, but never finished. My journey has been stuck at the end of day two for well over three years! Whilst a pleasant place to be, even I’m not sure I can live permanently in a tent on a Welsh hillside. The film Groundhog Day springs to mind!

My green Hilleberg Akto tent erected in a Welsh forest
My Hilleberg Akto in action - 2013. (Since replaced by a new, lighter tent)
This discovery started a trawl of USB drives containing saved computer files from my old laptop. Day three was found, typed up and ready for posting. Day four doesn’t appear to have made it to a computer, so I’ll have to search through my walking folder looking for a pen and paper version. Then if I can decipher my scribble, I’ll give it the keyboard treatment and it will appear here in due course. On a slight aside; some time ago I attended a writing workshop. One of those present explained that she had to use a laptop, as she felt unable to write using pen and paper. There was no medical reason. I’m a simple soul, the world is rapidly leaving me behind.

Anyhow, give me some more time and I hope to finish that particular backpacking story. It may well be the longest telling of a backpack ever! Blame the thought of moving house, and then the subsequent move for the oversight.

Coming next:  (I intend to date the post to tie in with day one and two, but I’ll provide a link)

Machynlleth to Dolgellau – the long way (Day 3 of 4) 17 July 2013
(All day effort – heat and views)

Possibly coming soon? Machynlleth to Dolgellau – the long way (Day 4 of 4) 18 July 2013






No comments: