Friday, 11 May 2007

A genealogical interruption

This is a short interruption to the Dales posts.

Having had a somewhat lengthy break from family history research, the recent funeral of a relative has prompted me to get back on the trail again. The reason for the break was that I found myself spending more time in the past than in the present. My world revolved around the 18th, 19th and 20th centuries, rather than the 21st! I’m now refreshed and feel it’s time to resume the quest.

At a funeral you see both familiar and unfamiliar faces. They’ve probably all got tales they could tell and information that is all too easily lost to the world. It’s a shame that it takes such events for some of the stories to spring forth, often accompanied by a knowing smile. I like to feel that in tracing my ancestors I’m in some small way honouring their memory and so I find the loss of memories particularly sad. Some ancestors will probably only ever be a name on a piece of paper but they’re not forgotten. Of course, not everyone will agree with revisiting the past and as with all things you have to be careful to respect people’s wishes.

Anyway, the search will resume and if anyone wants to help, just pass on information or perhaps start their own project, then please feel free to contact me at my usual address or send an email to:

One of the original reasons behind this blog was the notion that I could perhaps use it to pass on information to interested relatives. Check out my previous family history posts:

Paternal Family History

Maternal Family History

Family History walk in the Hope area (It defaults to the last post of three, so scroll down to find the first entry)

Basic guides on tracing your family history can be found here:

BBC History

Family Records Centre

Genuki

Or check out your local library.

No comments: